I collect a lot of travel photos. In fact, I've taken over sixty,000 photos in the final three years! I take a solid system for backing up my travel photos already, and I wanted to expand on how useful Amazon Prime Photos tin be for yous!

Amazon Prime Photos is bachelor on your existing Amazon Prime number membership. Information technology provides spider web, desktop and mobile access to all of your photos. With your Prime number membership, you go unlimited photograph storage and 5GB of video storage. If you don't have Amazon Prime, sign up for free.

Get your free thirty day trial of Amazon Prime

When you subscribe to Amazon Prime number, you'll get Prime number Photos automatically. With Prime Photos, you'll exist able to kick-start your photograph backup system!

Effort Amazon Prime

How does Amazon Prime number Photos work?

There are iii main plans that you can choose from.

  1. Gratis with Prime. Like I mentioned above, you'll be able to shop all of your photos, for free!

  2. 100GB of storage for $i.99/month. This wouldn't work for me. My photograph itemize is pushing a few TB and I would fill up upward 100GB in a weekend.

  3. 1TB of storage for $half-dozen.99/month. I would consider this as an pick if I didn't already have a 1TB-Dropbox plan. This will be practiced for most people, as y'all tin can shop a good number of photos with this program.

When yous subscribe to Prime photos (through Amazon Prime), you're able to admission your files through a mobile app, a web app and a desktop app. Aside from beingness able to back up your photos, you can likewise utilise Amazon Photos to search for common things within your photos similar nutrient, dogs or trees. It can recognize people, too!

Amazon Prime Photos snow photo search

Backing up your photos with Amazon Prime Photos

Bated from the storage plans, let's go a little deeper on how y'all can use Amazon Prime number photos today. But kickoff, let'southward briefly talk nearly backing upward your photos in full general. Photo backups are an important function of your workflow if you want to keep your photos safe. I (and most of the internet) will recommend backing upwardly your photos in at least 2 additional places.

It'south a proficient thought to have a copy of your photo library on your local hard bulldoze, to take a fill-in on an external hard drive and to have a backup somewhere in the cloud.

Now that nosotros've covered backing up your photos, permit's review how to back up your photos using Amazon Prime Photos.

Amazon Photos Spider web app

From the web client, you tin get to Add > Upload Photos in the meridian navigation bar.

From there, you'll find your Amazon Drive folders where you tin add your photos. Personally, I like to categorize all of my photos by year.

Amazon Prime Photos web app

Amazon Photos Desktop app

Every bit an alternative to the spider web client, y'all tin utilize the desktop app as well. I exercise all of my photo work on a Mac, and so I tin speak to the Mac app.

An older version of this app wasn't very skilful and limited uploads to four at a time. Uploading RAW files took forever (it almost took a month when I first started uploading!) because information technology could only process four large files at in one case. The updated app is decent and now supports eight concurrent uploads!

After a shoot, I'll queue up an upload. I find that keeping my uploads pocket-sized, information technology's manageable for the app to handle.

You lot tin set up the app to schedule backups or do a one-time backup. I prefer doing a former backup considering I constantly movement files around, every bit my local difficult drive fills upwards quickly.

Amazon Photos Mobile app

While the mobile app exists on iPhone and Android, I don't use it. I use Amazon Prime Photos as a backup and not as a identify to view my photos.

Benefits of using Amazon Photos

I've had a hard drive fail before and I'm glad that I had my photo files backed up. Without that fill-in, I would have lost a few years' worth of piece of work. When you use Prime number Photos, you tin can ensure that your photos are safe! As an added benefit, yous're able to scan photos on your phone and computer and share with friends and family unit. You're as well able to gild prints.

I tin can run across a utilize case where you lot accept a few family photos and you want to share them at a family gathering. You can open the folder where you have the files and pass your phone to whoever wants to see the photos!

In addition to the features of the platform, information technology'south costless! Well, kind of. If you subscribe to Amazon Prime number, yous go Amazon Prime number Photos for free. There's no boosted price to y'all. You lot tin can upgrade your plan if y'all desire to increase your video storage.

Once per year, Amazon has Amazon Prime Day which has some of the best deals all twelvemonth effectually. Check our our guide where we handpick some of our favorite Amazon Prime Twenty-four hour period deals for travelers.

Limitations of using Amazon Photos

When new image formats come up out, sometimes Amazon doesn't recognize them as "images." Because of this, it eats away at your low 5GB-storage cap of other files. I had this happen to me when I was testing a new photographic camera that had a brand new RAW file blazon.

This isn't an issue for well-nigh people and y'all can run into the supported image formats to ostend that your images are supported. If they aren't supported, you can convert those unsupported RAW files to DNG files.

I've found the uploader to be buggy at times, and I institute that the upload speeds aren't every bit good with another image backup services. Amazon is ever improving its software, so this might not exist the case for much longer.

Can you print photos with Amazon Prime number Photos?

Yeah! In fact, Amazon makes it easy to print your photos. They have a big selection of different products, like sheet prints, metal prints, photo books, calendars and so much more. Amazon Prime members get free shipping.

Impress your photos!

How to get Amazon Prime Photos

If you don't have Amazon Prime, so sign upward! Amazon Prime number has a lot of good benefits like fast shipping for products and admission to other video and music services.

If you already have Amazon Prime, and then you lot're good to go. Visit the sign in folio to first uploading. If you lot don't desire Amazon Prime, you lot can still sign upwardly for Amazon Photos based on the price points in a higher place.


I hope you were able to learn something virtually photo backups and more information most one of the many excellent resources out there for keeping your photos condom.

Share this article

If you enjoyed this article, give it a share!

Last updated on February 17th, 2022